Friday, August 3, 2012

We are all sinners

 

Who else is tired of hearing the word "Chickfila"? I haven't yet made any status updates about it like the many, many I've seen this week on both "sides". But something has been weighing heavy on my heart. I am a Christian. Have I been a pioneer for God and served Him every day of my life? Absolutely not. Do I love the Lord and want to show my love for Him to others? Absolutely. 

I avoided Chickfila on Wednesday really for 1 main reason. I don't like the food enough to bare the crowds. I avoid it on any school holiday when the kids are out because it's always a ZOO! I'm not saying there is anything wrong with anyone who went to Chickfila on Wednesday to support them. But here's my issue... SOME Christians (NOT ALL) really give our Faith a bad name. 

I know what the Bible says about Marriage. It should be between a man and a woman. It also talks about Divorce. 

Luke 16:18
Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery. 

I Corinthians 7:10-11
To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord) : the wife should not separate from her husband (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife. 


Gay marriage is not legal. But 2nd marriages are. Why isn't this an issue? (I am NOT saying that I think Divorce should be illegal or that you shouldn't get a 2nd chance at love). My husband and I were talking about this yesterday and I said 20+ years from now when we have adult children and our Christian friends have adult children, there is a very good chance that at least one of our children will be gay. And we will all love them just the same. I heard a statement on the radio this morning that made perfect sense to me.
We are living on the wrong side of History. 

Interracial marriages didn't become fully legal until 1967 in the U.S. I had to do my research on that because I almost didn't believe it when I heard it. I believe that one day our children, or our children's children will have the same reaction when they hear Gay marriage was not legal. 

I am a SINNER. There is not one person on this earth who is not a sinner. Some nights, I enjoy a glass (or bottle) of wine, and margaritas are my weakness! I still love Jesus and he still loves me! I'm not condemning anyone for judging another person because I am guilty of that every single day. But I want to remind everyone, and more importantly myself, what the Bible also says about judging. 

Romans 2:1
You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgement on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgement do the same things. 

John 8:7
And as they continued to as him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her."


So Christians, lets put more of our time and energy into something a little more worth while. Let's show love and acceptance for those who sin differently than we do. 


I hope I have not offended anyone. These are just my own personal opinions. And as was demonstrated on Wednesday for Chickfila Appreciation Day, we all love Freedom of Speech! 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very well stated!

Unknown said...

Amen! This was said so well!