Monday, February 13, 2012

Competing with Cracker Barrel

The main reason I wanted to start this blog was to post recipes. I think this quote by Rita Rudner perfectly sums up my feeling about cooking:

“I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and say to myself "well, that's not going to happen”
 I love learning new recipes on Pinterest, but lots of them seem too difficult and I usually don't know half the ingredients they are talking about. My goal is to post easy and delicious recipes that anyone can do. One thing I can't promise is that they will be healthy! I probably use more butter than Paula Deen!

Last night I made a good ole Southern meal! Fried Chicken, Fried Okra, and Potatoes and Onions.


Fried Chicken:
Fill a pot with vegetable oil. (make sure the pot is big enough for the chicken not to overlap and the oil is filled high enough to cover the chicken completely)
Soak your boneless, skinless, chicken breasts in buttermilk or milk for about 10 minutes
Cover them in flour. (I turn them over several times to get a thick coat of flour)
Put them in the oil (I have the burners turned on somewhere between low and medium. If the oil is too hot then it will fry the outside too fast and you'll still have uncooked chicken)
Flip them often. Once they are golden brown I take a piece out to cut open the middle to make sure its done.
Salt to taste.

Potatoes and Onions:
Peel and chop about 1 potato per person.
Chop onion- I use 1 onion per potato.
Place in frying pan with butter. Salt and Pepper to taste.
Cook about 20 minutes or until soft.

Fried Okra:
I bought frozen, already breaded, and just placed in the same oil after the chicken was finished.

In less than 30 minutes you're done and ready to enjoy!

No comments: